Skip to main content

Reading aloud melodiously helps in hifz.

Lately I felt my home is getting crowded. I normally shut my windows n treat my house like my own personal studio to belt out the Quranic verses I'm memorising. It helps to read out loud as if nobody was watching. 

Of course, as woman, I have to be careful not to be carried away with ego n riak cos our voices r aurat. N also sometimes listening to our own melodious voice, we may get engrossed in our own ability n forget that our niat is only for God.

So I went to the beach. I put on my headphones, closed my eyes and recite out loud in an isolated area. I was so into it that I did not feel my surroundings. So lost, in ecstacy.

I noticed that my body moved along with the tunes I created to recite with tajwid. But when I opened my eyes, I saw there were many peeps beside me. Yikes?! Awkward. 

I thought it was a private concert only for me, but it has become public. I then whisper the rest of my practice. N then I seek a more remote place to continue on.

I was taught by my Madinah Ustaz that to read something for the first time is to open one's mouth as wide and in as many shapes as possible to enunciate the proper alphabets well. It may looked ugly n ridiculous sometimes. But it's worth it. It took me months just to get the alphabet ain well.

I'm a person who got bored easily and cannot stay put in 1 position or location for long...thus,i seek many other Quranic reciters to rekindle my passion.

Ramadan is the best time to do so. Why? Because terawikh prayers are often led by hafiz Quran from various countries. I mosques-hop to listen to myriad recitations from heart n soul. Sometimes, the imam got teary eyed with certain verses. Though I'm just a noob in Arabic, it got me crying a river.

Also re-learning hifz in this 46+ age is no spring chicken. Though challenging, it's possible. 

When young as a child, memorisation is like engraving onto stones, when older like me, memorisation is like writing on sand. Anytime, it can delete itself.

I had to stay put in 1 mosque (fully aircon of course in this blistering heat of 35 degrees Celsius) from 11am-8pm to truly memorised Sura Mudaththir, 56 verses. Not easy cos I get restless. Sometimes need self force to commit. 

And as we age, we may have issues like istiadhah, so best to get Quran with translations or use apps (my eyes get tired easily with phone apps). Or normal Quran is fine, if u r able to refresh ur wudhu in every prayer.

For women with menses, I've learnt various methods. Some hafizah teachers said that we can still memorise new and old sura of the Quran because we are students of hifz (in menses/moon time) . So it's special for us but not for normal peeps. 

But some only allow us to recite repeated verses that we had memorised. And niat/intention as zikir. 

Whatever it is, consult your own teacher for this. Do not be shy to learn, we have to be bold. Of course find a female teacher if possible if not, male teacher do know the answer or they may refer u to another female teacher.


Again as mentioned, I'm only sharing from my experiences. I'm no expert in Islamic matters or even hifz. Do Get your info from certified asatisahs professionals please. Though I have certifications of Quranic teaching certs, It's been ages since I was active in this niche n community. And so im still just a noob, restarting. So dont take me seriously. 

Only take what helps, inspire n empowers u in your own journey. 

The best is from Allah, all mistakes r my own, so forgive me dunia akhirat. 

Popular posts from this blog

At-Taisir method : 30 days to memorise Quran

I've learnt lots from this video (below) . It's in Indonesian (Malay)... By Ustaz Adi Hidayat  I wanted to see his method in teaching his students hifz, using numbers.  1. And I learnt that those who memorise Quran are called hamilun Quran, pregnant with Quran. When we are pregnant, we take great care to ensure we eat halal, watch halal, speak Halal, listen Halal and more with our senses.  The same with Quran, when we memorised Quran, we have to take great care to ensure we are protecting Quran within us.  2. I learnt also that... to memorise Quran is not because we want to be hafiz but to memorise just because of Allah. That's it. Ikhlas. Or to be Hifz Teacher or to bring families to paradise etc.  Release all that.  Those are just bonus if Allah wants to gift to us.  https://youtu.be/AJOQrqJrSf4?si=qxI5kzKDcFJcGH3m 3. And if we have difficulty memorising the Quran, do not lose heart and assume that we are not capable but perhaps Allah wants to rewards us with more merits

Sura A'la helps to remember with God's will

 I thought, I had completed Sura Jinn hifz by now. But I'm stuck.  For whatever reasons unknown to me, I can only memorised 7 ayat. Yes it has been marinating in me for so long.  I wallow in my sappy disappointment and it didn't help much. And so I forced myself and it is worse.  And so I took a longer break from my teacher.  It feels heavy too (as taught by my teacher, I have to ignore all these as excuses to stop hifz due to syaithan) but as an energy healing coach, I have to find out is it because of the energetic vibe of every sentence and it's meaning? I'm super sensitive. And so perhaps, I need to reflect more and deeper on them.  Anyway...  My hifz teacher taught me that challenges like this can be solved by holding/placing my hand on head (for brain actually) and recite Sura Al-A'la ayat 6 for 3 times: سنقرئك فلا تنسى Hope that helps.  Also, I have issues with my heart recently.... Just heaviness n extra heart activeness whenever I'm stressful to face th

Neglected Quranic verses

​i used to be so afraid of forgetting the Quranic verses memorized that i actually slow down my pace when i was younger. Peeps wanted to complete within 1-3 years, i wanted 10-30 years. The fear of meeting up with God in the hereafter with incomplete forgotten Quranic verses and the punishments promised. Instead of getting heavenly crowns for my parents, i fear i get otherwise. (May Allah protect us all) Nevertheless, this time i resolute to do better insyaAllah with God’s guidance and permission.  This invitation is truly a gift like no other. I have shared my passion for hifz during my youths and not many want to do it. Perhaps the weight of it felt super huge and heavy for some.  From what Ive experienced, there is a fine line between heaven and hell for hifz students. For sure, we will be tested not just in hifz but in life itself and what we have memorised -how are we going to implement them in our lives? I was once a quranic teacher teaching both adults and youths the basic readi